The Blue Star Program honors all men and women that serve in the United States Armed Services. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs (now NGC) adopted this program and began a Blue Star Highway system that covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers were placed along the way. The Blue Star was adopted because it had become an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war as well as in churches and businesses.
The Memorial pictured above was established in 1994 by District IV. It is on the corner of Route 4 and Wilber Road south of Schuylerville, NY. It is located at the entrance to the Saratoga National Cemetery. The site is maintained by the Schuylerville Garden Club and supported by District IV.
A second District IV Memorial is located near the Champlain Bridge in Crown Point, NY. That memorial was erected in 1988. It is maintained by the Lake George Garden Club.